Friday 5 December 2008

Writing stories

This week I have been thinking about the context in which I could build a narrative around my objects. I have picked out a few key themes in shadow puppetry. One particular theme that came to mind is the relationship between shadow puppetry and the mystery of the dead. One of the first shadow puppets I made was an iron including a length of string as its cord, with a plug on the end. I'd like to write a story about how an iron dies. It is usually related to a mechaninical failure, but in order to change peoples value of an object dying or being no longer of use I'd like to narrate a story in which the other irons ritualistically 'cut the cord' from the iron to the plug and the plug dies. I find this approach quite peotic, yet striking. 

I'd also like to look at existing myths or stories and reassign characters to everyday objects and then act out the show accordingly. Another idea suggested in my group tutorial was to get other users to use my objects as props, puppets and stages to create their own stories about these everyday objects and see what ideas emerge.

Another area of interests came about when I was first looking at the shapes of the shadows. The image of the toothbrush that looks like it's talking to it's shadow has provoked me to start a collection of objects relating to their shadows and attempting to play with light sources and other object to try to create warped or skewed shadows to tell a story about the object. I find these images so intriguing that they might become the core of element of inspiration for narration, or a piece in their own right. 

No comments: