Monday 1 December 2008

Why animate everyday objects?


I have been thinking about the difference in animating objects meant to be animated or have human-like quality, or objects with mundane everyday qualities. I have decided to go with the mundane as a reflection on use of everyday objects and how their essential qualities are over-looked in everyday life and routine. What if we treasured or appreciated these objects as if they were thinking beings. 

I have been making some shadow puppets of everyday objects such as tea cups, an iron and a toothbrush (taken from the image in the previous post). I hope to develop a narrative around which the viewer could develop a sense of the objects personality. To help develop the sense of my objects personalities I have been reading The Design of Everyday Life  where they talk about the abundence of things made to keep together systems and routines, 'there is no doubt that social life have things, that things have social lives'. This book is a great starting point for me in deciding the context of my work. 


No comments: