Tuesday 7 April 2009

150 words to describe my project.

Animating the Inanimate


My project is about finding personality in inanimate objects through the puppetry of everyday life. I am interested in creating narratives around objects, particularly everyday objects as they can seemingly become mundane.


When researching puppetry I became instantly fascinated in shadow puppetry for its poetic storytelling ability. With my work I have designed systems for promoting a space for animation in an objects shadow. My ideas came from the concept of anthropomorphism, the ability to see human attributes in inanimate objects. I designed these objects in order to open up a debate on how we value the objects we choose to surround ourselves with, the objects that make up our home and change perceptions of them. My aim is that these objects would promote this act so the user can create stories of their own. My projection devices work on the idea of the building up of shadow to create other images, making everyday life a stage.

No comments: