Wednesday 18 March 2009

The best shadow


This is the most amazing shadow I have seen. Just as I was walking home feeling tired and generally worried about my project and the fact the show was coming around far to fast, I saw this. The tree outside the design department was casting a shadow across the whole field. I was beautiful.  

I have been thinking about my project and how much it has changed since I first defined it. I has become very specific in the casting of shadow by everyday objects, and creating chance for the creativity inorder to create them. I often worry that my project has become about me and my overactive imagination and may be what I have been creating has such a subtle effect it can almost be missed. What I like about my abstract shadow making is that it can be interprited in many different ways. I've always likened this to when people look at clouds, and after a while the mind starts to see images and characteristics.

A while ago I was given the book, A Cloudspotters Guide, and I finally started reading some of it and it immediately made me want to find out more. In fact after looking at the website I made sure I joined the cloud appreciation society group on facebook. For a fairly scientist book it is full of wonderful imagery, includes poems the members of the society had written about the clouds they had looked like.  But as soon as I read this poem by Percy Bysshe Shelley, 'The Cloud', I knew that my project was not just for me and my imagination but all the people with imagination. 

I am the daughter of Earth and Wind; 
And the nursling of the Sky:
I pass through the pores of the ocean and shores;
I change, but I cannot die.
For after the rain, when with never a stain
The pavilion of heaven is bare,
And winds and sunbeams with their convex gleams
Build up the blue dome of air,
I silently laugh at my own cenotaph,
And out of the caverns of rain, 
Like a child from the womb, like a ghost from the tomb, 
I arise, and unbuild it again.

Percy Bysshe Shelley, 'The Cloud'





No comments: